Student Attendance Policies and Procedures:
Regular attendance by all students is very important. In many cases, inconsistent attendance is a major reason for poor schoolwork. However, there are situations that may cause a student to miss school. Parents or Caregivers are asked to notify the school by phone at (760) 868-2500 ext. 44006 or by email to [email protected] or by text messages to (760) 349-1989 as early as possible on the day, a student is absent. Also, a note from the parent or guardian explaining the reason for the absence is required when the student returns to school.
Please include the following information.
- Your child's name
- Date of absence
- The reason your child is absent
- Personal illness
- Quarantine under the direction of a county or city health officer
- Medical, dental, optometrical, or chiropractic appointment
- Attendance at funeral services for a member of the immediate family shall be limited to one day if the service is conducted in California or three days if the service is conducted out of state.
6. The illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child to whom the student is the custodial parent
7. Upon advance written request by the parent/guardian and the approval of the principal or designee, justifiable personal reasons including, but not limited to: (Education Code 48205)
a. Appearance in court
b. Attendance at a funeral service
c. Observation of a holiday or ceremony of his/her religion
d. Attendance at religious retreats not to exceed four hours per semester
e. Attendance at an employment conference
f. Attendance at an educational conference offered by a nonprofit organization on the legislative or judicial process
8. Service as a member of a precinct board for an election pursuant to Elections Code 12302
9. To spend time with his/her immediate family member who is an active duty member of the uniformed services, as defined in Education Code 49701, and has been called to duty for deployment to a combat zone or a combat support position or is on leave from or has immediately returned from such deployment
10. Participation in religious exercises or to receive moral and religious instruction in accordance with district policy: (Education Code 46014)
a. In such instances, the student shall attend at least the minimum school day.
b. The student shall be excused for this purpose on no more than four days per school month
Method of Verification
When a student who has been absent returns to school, he/she shall present a satisfactory explanation verifying the reason for the absence. Absences shall be verified by the student's parent/guardian, another person having control of the minor, or the student if age 18 or older. (Education Code 46012; 5 CCR 306)
The following methods may be used to verify student absences:
2. Conversation, in person or by telephone, between the verifying employee and the student's parent/guardian or parent representative. The employee shall subsequently record the following:
a. Name of student
b. Name of parent/guardian or parent representative
c. Name of verifying employee
d. Date(s) of absence
e. Reason for absence
3. Visit the student's home by the verifying employee or any other reasonable method which establishes the fact that the student was absent for the reasons stated. The employee shall document the verification and include the information specified in item #2 above.
4. Physician's verification.
a. When excusing students for confidential medical services or verifying such appointments, district staff shall not ask about the purpose of such appointments but may contact a medical office to confirm the time of the appointment.
b. When a student has had 10 absences in the school year for illness verified by methods listed in #1-3 above, any further absences for illness may be verified by a physician.